Varicose veins are a prevalent circulation condition affecting millions of people globally. This condition occurs when the veins, typically in the legs and feet, become enlarged, twisted, and swollen. When varicose veins are usually benign if left untreated, they can cause discomfort and lead to more extreme repercussions. Varicose veins can be a cosmetic concern for most people, but they can also cause pain, aching, heaviness, and fatigue in the hands and legs. In this article, we will learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and recovery measures available for varicose veins.
Causes of Varicose Veins
Varicose veins develop when the valves in the veins malfunction, leading to blood pooling and increased pressure. Women are more likely to develop varicose veins than men. There are several factors which cause Varicose veins, including:
- Age of a person: As people age, the natural strain on their veins causes their vascular walls to weaken, causing them to stretch and become less flexible.
- Genetics: A family history of varicose veins increases the likelihood of developing the condition in any person. Genetic history can also influence vein structure and valve function in any person.
- Pregnancy: During pregnancy, a woman can see hormonal changes and a rise in blood volume within her that causes extra strain on the vein, resulting in the development of varicose veins that cause discomfort.
- Prolonged Standing or Sitting: Occupations requiring long standing or sitting periods can impede proper blood flow, leading to the formation of varicose veins over time.
Symptoms of Varicose Veins
Varicose veins affect a person’s daily life and comfortable lifestyle. One can feel various symptoms that are the cause of varicose veins, including:
- Visible blue, purple, or black veins on the human body.
- Aching or throbbing pain in the legs, especially after prolonged periods of standing or sitting for long hours.
- Swelling, particularly in the lower legs and ankles.
- Itching or a feeling of heaviness in the affected area causes discomfort to the person’s lifestyle.
- Cramping or restless legs cause pain and discomfort, especially at night.
- Skin discolouration or the development of ulcers internally or externally in the human body in severe cases.
Treatment of Varicose Veins in India
There are numerous ways to treat varicose veins that depend on the severity and specific circumstances. Treatment aims to alleviate symptoms, enhance appearance, and avoid problems. Here are some examples of instant treatment methods:
- Lifestyle Modifications: Simple lifestyle changes such as regular exercise, elevating the legs, avoiding prolonged sitting or standing, and wearing compression stockings can help alleviate symptoms and prevent the progression of varicose veins. This way benefits the human body in other cases as well.
- Sclerotherapy: This non-surgical procedure involves injecting a solution directly into the affected veins, causing them to close and fade over time.
- Endovenous Laser Treatment (EVLT): EVLT uses laser energy to heat and seal the affected vein, redirecting blood flow to healthier veins.
- Radiofrequency Ablation: This minimally invasive procedure utilizes heat generated by radiofrequency energy to close the affected vein, similar to EVLT.
- Vein Stripping: In more severe cases, surgical removal of the affected vein may be necessary. This procedure is typically performed under general anaesthesia.
- Compression stockings: These special stockings provide graduated compression, which helps improve circulation and relieve symptoms. They can be especially useful for individuals who stand or sit for long periods.
Recovery from Varicose Vein Treatment
The recovery period for varicose vein treatment depends on the specific procedure performed. Non-surgical treatments usually have minimal downtime, allowing individuals to resume their regular activities shortly after the procedure. Surgical interventions may require more extensive recovery time, during which individuals are advised to avoid strenuous activities and follow post-operative care instructions.
While therapy might ease symptoms and improve the look of varicose veins, more varicose veins may form in the future. It is important that early intervention and requisite care can help to alleviate the varicose veins effectively and prevent potential complications in the human body. So, take care of your vascular health and seek consultation from a varicose veins specialist today.
If you are facing varicose veins symptoms, it is best to consult a varicose veins specialist in Delhi. Based on your specific circumstances, these experts have the expertise and experience to effectively diagnose your problem and propose appropriate treatment choices. Remember that early intervention and suitable treatment can aid in the efficient management of varicose veins and the prevention of potential consequences. Consult a varicose veins specialist immediately to take control of your vascular health.